Many tourists abroad use bank cards to withdraw cash. Of course, it is convenient and safe.
However, not everyone knows that it can also conceal some risks such as skimming, when a special device copies data from a magnetic tape, hidden cameras, special pads on the ATM keyboard etc.
In order to avoid such troubles we recommend:
- Do not withdraw money from ATMs located in open areas, on the streets, in small shops. It is best to withdraw money in the bank. It is better even if the ATM “swallows” your card — you will have a chance to return it with the help of bank employees.
- Do not write the PIN code on a piece of paper, it is better to remember it. If you can not remember, write it to your phone using Notepad or Google keep.
- In the phone contacts, make sure to save the phone number of the bank that issued the card. In case of loss you can block it in several minutes and prevent serious losses.
- Activate SMS notification of operations. You will find out that your card data has been stolen and that unauthorized transactions are carried out.
- Do not show anyone the card or share the secret PIN and СVV/CVC codes on the back of the card. Remember that to access your account it is enough to have a card snapshot and a code on the back of the card.
- When entering the PIN code cover the keyboard with your hand.
- If an ATM did not give out money the first time — do not try to re-do the operation — better look for another ATM.